Visiting Estonia »

How to apply for a Schengen visa?

Please note that our Embassy accepts only prefilled online application forms for applying for a Schengen visa. Please use the ONLINE APPLICATION FORM. The completed application form has to be printed out, signed and submitted to the Embassy.

We kindly ask you to book your appointment with us over the phone.

Phone line 020 78 38 53 88 is open during the following times:

Monday, Wednesday 2 pm - 5 pm

Tuesday, Thursday 9 am - 12 pm

Friday 2 pm - 4 pm

The phone line will not operate on August 28, 2017.

Visa application must be lodged at least 15  calendar days before the intended visit (as this is the normal processing time) and cannot be lodged earlier than three months before the start of the intended visit.

In case you would like to collect your passport by post please also provide a pre-paid special-delivery envelope (silver envelope from post office).

Basic requirements for persons applying for a visa irrespective of the purpose of travel

Please always bring the original plus one copy of all documents mentioned in this section. Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted.

1. a valid travel document which is issued within previous 10 years, contains at least two blank pages for visas and is valid at least 3 months after the expiration date of the visa;

2. photo (size 35x45 mm; taken within the last 6 months);

3. insurance policy valid in Schengen countries with a coverage of at least 30.000 EUR for the entire duration of stay in Schengen area;

4. application form. Please note that our Embassy accepts only prefilled online application forms for applying for a Schengen visa. Please use the ONLINE APPLICATION FORM. The completed application form has to be printed out, signed and submitted to the Embassy.

5. a United Kingdom residence permit valid for at least 3 months beyond the intended   departure from the Schengen area.

6. documentation allowing for the assessment of the applicant’s intention to leave the Schengen area

6.1. Proof of confirmed return ticket to the United Kingdom or to the country of final destination

6.2. Recent (i.e. last 3 months) United Kingdom bank statement in the applicant’s name and address showing details and a balance showing that he has sufficient means of subsistence both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to the United Kingdom or his country of origin, or for the transit to a third country into which he is certain to be admitted, or that he is in a position to acquire such means lawfully, in accordance with Article 5(1)(c) and (3) of the Schengen Borders Code; or

– traveller’s cheques showing the same as above.

– if the applicant is financially supported by her/his spouse (for example if the applicant does not work herself/himself), please also provide a marriage certificate and the spouse's bank statements.

Please note that cash is not accepted as proof of sufficient means

6.3.  General employment: recent, official and signed letter from employer (headed letter with name, position of signatory and date of issue, address, recent telephone number and registration number in the United Kingdom) and/or payslips for the last 3 months.

6.4. Self-employment:

–  recent letter from accountant, banker or solicitor (official headed letter with name, date of issue, address, recent telephone number and position of signatory and registration number in the United Kingdom) stating self-employment or business ownership in the United Kingdom.

– letter from the tax authorities.

6.5. Students:

Recent, official and signed letter from United Kingdom school, college or university stating date of issue, name of the applicant and type of studies and number of lessons (hours) per week and attendance record

7. Airport transit

Visa or entry permit and confirmed tickets regarding the onward journey to the final country of destination

8. Additional documents to be submitted depending on the purpose of travel

8.1. Business

– an invitation from a firm or an authority to attend meetings, conferences, proof of registration, or events connected with trade, industry or work.

– other documents which show the existence of trade relations or relations for work purposes.

– entry tickets or registration for fairs and congresses.

8.2. Study or professional training.

– a certificate of enrolment at an educational establishment (school, university, college, etc) for the purposes of attending vocational or theoretical courses within the framework of basic and further training;

–  student card or certificate of the courses to be attended.

–  documents in relation to accommodation, or proof of sufficient means to cover the accommodation.

8.3. Tourism.

– confirmed hotel booking for your full stay in the Schengen area or any other appropriate document stating the planned accommodation; or

– booking confirmation of a European tour or any other appropriate document.

8.4. Private (family-friends) visit

– documents in relation to accommodation, or

– proof of sufficient means to cover this accommodation.

– copy of data page of passport or residence permit of host in the Member State, if staying with one.

– proof of family relationship.

8.5. Medical treatment.

– an official document of the medical institution confirming necessity for medical care in that institution

– proof of sufficient financial means to pay for the medical treatment

– proof of prepayment of medical treatment

8.6. Official delegations travelling on the basis of an official invitation addressed to the government of the third country concerned, to participate in meetings, consultations, negotiations or exchange programs, as well as in events held in the territory of a Member State by intergovernmental organizations.

– a letter issued by an authority of the third country concerned confirming that the applicant is a member of the official delegation travelling to a member state to participate in the abovementioned events, accompanied by a copy of the official invitation from the intergovernmental organization in the Member State; or

– note verbale.

9. Particular requirements applying to specific categories of persons

9.1. Minors (children below 18 years)

– birth certificate

– minors travelling alone or with only one parent:

– original passports of both parents (unless one parent has the sole custody or           residence order for the child);

– proof of consent of parental authority or legal guardian

9.2. Family member of EU/EEA citizen (spouses and children)

– the EU/EEA citizen's passport and a copy thereof

– proof of residence in the UK

– proof of the family relationship:

– marriage certificate and a copy thereof

– birth certificate.

9.3. Seafarers

– Seaman's book

– Covering letter from recruiting company stating the name and the rank of the seafarer

– Vessel's name, vessel's arrival date in port and the date of the seafarer's joining of the vessel

9.4. Lorry drivers

– A written request from the national association (union) of carriers of the host country providing for international road transportation, stating the purpose, duration and frequency of the trips

– Written request from the partner company based in the Member State

– Driver's licence for international transport


© Estonian Embassy in London 44 Queen's Gate Terrace, LONDON SW7 5PJ, e-mail: